Carbon Monoxide can kill !! Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by gas appliances which have not been properly installed or maintained. You can't see it. You can't taste it. You can't even smell it but carbon monoxide can kill without warning in just a matter of hours.
You are particularly at risk when you are asleep because you cannot recognise the early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. These include tiredness, drowsiness, headache, nausea, pains in the chest and stomach pains. These symptoms can mimic many common ailments and may easily be confused with flu or simple tiredness.
Some of the reasons you may be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning:
Anyone who lets residential accommodation (such as houses, flats and bedsits, holiday homes, caravans and boats) as a business activity is required by law to ensure the equipment they supply as part of the tenancy is safe to use. The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 requires that all mains electrical equipment (cookers, washing machines, kettles, etc), new or second-hand, supplied with the accommodation must be safe.therefore landlords are required to regularly maintain the electrical equipment they supply to ensure it is safe.